Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Nathan's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

My poor little munchkin had a rough day this week. We had to take him to the dentist for a cleaning which involved lying him down on my legs with his head in the dentist's lap. I then had to hold his arms down and Will had to hold his legs so he wouldn't kick or hit the dentist while he was thrashing with every ounce of strength his 24 pound body had in it.  As if that wasn't traumatizing enough, the doctor then inserted a Silence of the Lambs looking clamp into his mouth so he couldn't shut it, allowing her to reach all this teeth and thoroughly clean them. I think I cried more than he did. His eyes were the size of dinner plates and the whole time he was looking at me, it was like I could read his mind and his mind was saying "Why are you letting her do this to me???" In reality, this probably lasted about 5 minutes but it felt like an eternity. Once we were finished there, he got a balloon and all was well again.

Until we took him down the hall to had blood taken. We recently gave him peanut butter for the first time and he broke out into a rash so our pediatrician advised us to have a blood test done to confirm an allergy. Again, I had to hold him with his arms pinned down and his feet tucked between my legs. The doctor couldn't find a vein and I had to watch her dig around inside his tiny little spaghetti arm and eventually switch to the second arm. This time he had his back to me so I couldn't see his face, I don't know if that was better or worse. When they were done and had put a band-aid on both arms I let him down onto the floor and I've never seen anyone run faster than he ran, right out of the office and into the waiting room.

Having survived two terrifying experiences we decided to treat him to a popsicle so we stopped at a deli, got a him a frozen banana pop and headed over to a bench across the street from Lincoln Center. About 5 licks in, he dropped it on the ground. The poor kid.... he just couldn't catch a break that day.

Picking up the car and heading home after an exhausting (physically and mentally) afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment