Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Happily married (but also dating)



When I said "I do" three years ago I thought I was done with dating. I'd never have to come up with interesting small talk again. I'd never have to spend an awkward hour, counting the minutes until I could head home again. I'd never have to wonder if they'd call again. And yet somehow, I have landed right back in the dating scene. Why? Because I'm a mom and I want to make mom friends. I've been out of the dating world for more than 8 years so I'm a little rusty. But here I am, creating online Meetup profiles and trying to post flattering photos of myself and Nathan and include witty things in my bio.

The scariest part of meeting other mothers is that you just have to put yourself out there and that means the possibility of rejection. I've had a great conversation only to have the other mom just say goodbye at the end and walk away... don't you want my number??  I've had a really great play-date and the whole way home thought to myself "I really liked her, I hope she calls".  I've had high expectations to really hit it off and then been disappointed that we have nothing in common.

Meeting other moms is hard but when you find someone who could actually become a friend it makes all the awkward "dating" worth it. I've met some really nice women here and I'm hoping to end up in a serious relationship soon. (Just don't tell my husband!)

No comments:

Post a Comment