Monday, November 15, 2010

Baby proofing


Now that Nathan can crawl, he does not stop moving! Gone are the days of being able to run to the bathroom and know that he will be in the exact same spot on the rug I had left him in. He is constantly on the go, trying to touch everything. Even in our small apartment, there are so many things he can get into which means we've got some baby proofing to do.

Looking at the safety section in a baby store is probably one of the scariest things I've ever done. There are cabinet locks so he can't get into the bathroom cleaning products. And power strip covers so he can't grab or bite any of the multiple wires, connected to the phone, computer, stereo or TV. We'll need a baby gate so he can't wander from room to room. Oven locks so he can't pull the door down and burn himself. Corner cushions for when he falls and knocks his head against the entertainment center. The list goes on and on. I'm starting to think we should just save ourselves the anxiety and put him in a bubble for the next couple years.

As overwhelming as it seems, we can't put it off any longer. So we're trying to come up with a list of the most essential items. I've learned that the key is to look at the world from a baby's perspective. Before I was pregnant, my girlfriend Sarah and her daughter Logan came over to my apartment to hang out. I quickly walked around putting away anything I thought might be dangerous to a small child. Satisfied with my work, I welcomed them into my "safe" home. Within 10 minutes of being there, Logan found a staple, a nickel, and a paper clip - all choking hazards! So for the past few days, I've been laying down on the floor and looking around - under the couch, the dressers, the desk. I found some loose change, a lot of wires, and more dust than I'd like to admit.

We know we can't protect Nathan from everything. He will bump his head, bang his lip, and get more than a few bruises as he begins to investigate the world around him. But we can do our best to create a safe, fun environment for him to explore at home... and hey, if I happen to see a baby bubble when I'm at the store, I might just toss it in with the rest of my items.

No comments:

Post a Comment