Thursday, July 1, 2010

The Origin of Flipper


(via)

Anyone who knows us well knows we called our baby Flipper throughout the pregnancy. We weren't going to find out the sex and I hated calling the baby "it" so we needed a nickname.

We found out we were pregnant at 6 weeks. We had already taken a pregnancy test and read a positive sign but I went to my doctor a few days later to have it confirmed. Hearing the doctor say "Yup, you're definitely pregnant" made it so much more real. Seeing a fuzzy white smear on a monitor screen made me cry. I ran to the drugstore and bought Will a "Congratulations, job well done" card and stuck the sonogram picture inside. I wrote "You're officially the daddy of a 6 week old blob!" I met him at his office and called him to come meet me outside. We hugged, we laughed, we had fleeting thoughts of "What the hell have we done" (at least I know I did.)

I was so excited and already imagining what our baby would look like. When I got home I immediately googled "6 weeks pregnant" and burst out laughing. My beautiful unborn child looked like a tadpole with beady eyes and fins! I called Will at work - "It has flippers!" And that was it... from then on our baby would be known as Flipper, Flip for short.

No comments:

Post a Comment