Saturday, January 26, 2013

Cabin Fever

It is inevitable that a new baby brings with it a little bit of restriction. We know that once Baby Boy gets here, we will be spending a lot more time at home than we're used to. You have to worry about germs and exposure to large groups of people in the first few weeks so that limits you from going to most indoor places. And since it will be the middle of winter, the weather will limit us from spending much time outside. So we are prepared to be housebound in the beginning.

I don't like being housebound. I like to get out, go places, do things.  I think the hardest part of my maternity leave with Nathan was sitting inside, day after day after day, feeling trapped while the rest of the world went on without me. (The post-natal hormones may have had something to do with the drama level, but hey, that's how I felt.) The idea of staying home all day sounds awful to me and keeping a toddler indoors all day just makes the idea that much more terrible. I can't remember the last time I spent the entire day at home actually, I make sure Nathan and I go somewhere every single day, whether it's the library, the playground, lunch with friends, a walk, anything as long as we don't sit at home all day. Of course, I'm sure the responsibilities of caring for a newborn will distract me but I can't say I'm not dreading it a little bit.

Luckily Will and Nathan will have more freedom than me. Since I'll be nursing the baby, I'll be the one staying home most of the time while Nathan will get to have lots of Daddy time, outdoors, amongst civilization!  So, in anticipation of my inevitable captivity, I have been trying to get out as much as possible in the past few weeks and will continue to do so until this bambino decides to show up.

In the past week I have had a night out with my sisters, an art night with girlfriends and dinner last night with friends from school. Tonight, Will and I are having dinner with one of my oldest friends and his wife AND we were lucky enough to have Nana and Papa take Nathan for a sleepover which means we have ALL DAY tomorrow to do whatever we want!!! Next Sat I have another girl's night out and that will leave me just under a month of freedom so if anyone feels like getting out, call me. Please!


No comments:

Post a Comment