Sunday, November 23, 2014

Home again

For the past twelve weeks, I have been covering a maternity leave and the regular teacher is coming back soon. This is my last official week of work, two and a half days left to be exact. I am not entirely sure how I feel about it.

Part of me is relieved. These past three months have been insane. It feels like I haven't stopped moving since the first week of school. I go to bed thinking of phonics lessons and I wake up thinking of writing prompts. I plan science activities as I cook dinner and math lessons in the shower.  I am looking forward to a slower pace and enjoying quality time with my boys. Walks around the neighborhood, trips to the playground, story times at the library, and play dates with friends we haven't seen in much too long! Poor Ryan has been so sick recently. In the past two weeks he has had conjunctivitis, hand foot mouth virus and an ear infection so I am definitely looking forward to the slower pace, not having to rush up and out of the house every morning and being able to snuggle on the couch if he's not feeling well.

On the other hand, I will miss my students terribly. I have always hated goodbyes and I am dreading 22 of them this Wednesday. I have become so attached to the kids and will miss being with them everyday. I have often joked that I have two kids at home and 22 at school. In three days, I will be losing 22 of my kids and that makes me so sad!

I am trying to find something for the spring but so far nothing has come up. I have loved being in the classroom each day and truly believe it's where I belong but it feels like I've barely seen or even spoken to Nathan and Ryan since September and that leaves a terrible feeling in my heart. I'm starting to think part-time might be the best fit for me at this point in my life. They are still so young and I don't want to look back and regret not being around more.  Soon enough they will be in school themselves and I can look for full-time then. Changing careers was absolutely the right decision; I just have to figure out how to make it work at this point in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment