Tuesday, September 10, 2013

First Day of Preschool

Nathan started school 9 months ago, in January. He was just barely old enough to start, 2 years and 9 months, but with a new baby on the way, I thought it was best to start him sooner than later. I thought it would be good for him to have a fun place to go two mornings a week, and a break from a crying baby. And I knew it would be good for me to have two quiet mornings a week, where I could focus on and bond with Ryan. Preschool ended up being great, Nathan loved it however drop-offs were a hit some days, and a miss on others.  Most mornings included a clingy little boy who was sad to see his Mommy leave him, and some of those mornings even included tears. However, I tried to base my judgement on his mood at pickup. Every time I picked him up, he was smiling and laughing and gave his teachers high fives and hugs, so I felt good knowing he was enjoying it.

Last week, all the kids had a one hour orientation for the new school year, basically a meet and greet to become familiar with the setting before having to stay their on their own. He will have the same teachers and be in the same class as last year, which provided both of us with a certain level of comfort.  Since the parents stayed for this visit, I was nervous this would throw him off and that he would expect me to stay everyday.

Today was his first real day of the new school year. We talked about it all weekend, that last week was just a visit which is why Mommy stayed but today Mommy wouldn't stay. He seemed fine, but he always seems fine when we talk about it. It's the dreaded drop off that always triggers his emotions but I am happy to report that it was a success. He walked in smiling and there was no hesitation on his part, no tiny hand reaching up for mine. I'm sure having one of his best friends greet him with an enthusiastic "Hi Nathan!" certainly helped, (Thanks Ella!!). He gave me a kiss and told me he'd see me after lunch,  reminding me that "Mommy always comes back after lunch", a mantra I repeat to him constantly.

Day 1 was successful, here's hoping this is a good sign for the rest of the year!









No comments:

Post a Comment