Monday, September 6, 2010

In honor of Labor Day, a recap of my labor

Friday, April 9th
My due date comes and goes. My doctor tells me to enjoy the weekend but to plan on coming in Tuesday night to be induced.

Sunday, April 11th
7:00 pm - Walking, sex, spicy food.... hoping one of the old wives tales will work

11:00 pm - Go to bed

11:25 pm - Something worked, my water breaks and wakes me up

11:26 pm - I go into panic mode!

Monday, April 12th
12:00 am - Talk to the on call doctor at the hospital, she tells me to come in so I can be checked

12:30 am - Will and I head to the 24 hour pharmacy at the corner to buy sanitary pads as I am officially a leaking faucet.

12:35 am - 24 hour pharmacy is closed! Yellow caution tape, nobody allowed in. (Still to this day have no idea what happened in there but of course it happened the one time we needed to take advantage of the 24 hour aspect!)

12:40 am - I head home, unable to keep a straight face as I am basically peeing my pants in public, continuously. Will heads to the next closest pharmacy, 3 blocks away

12:50 am - Will calls to tell me "There are a million different kinds, what do I get?" I reply "The biggest, fattest ones you can find - look for words like Overnight, Heavy and Maximum"



2:00 am - We leave our apartment for the last time as a couple and catch a cab and head to the hospital 12 blocks away

2:30 am - Admitted into hospital - start to feel slight contractions

4:00 am - OH MY GOD, WORST PAIN I HAVE EVER FELT IN MY ENTIRE LIFE, ASK TO BE CHECKED


4:10 am - Only 1 cm?!?! Do I want an epidural? YES!!!!

THE NEXT 3 HOURS - WAIT FOR EPIDURAL. PAIN IS SO BAD - WHY DO WOMEN CHOOSE TO DO THIS DRUG FREE?!?! LET'S JUST CANCEL THE BABY AND CALL THE WHOLE THING OFF - NOT SURE HOW MUCH MORE OF THIS I CAN TAKE - NURSES KEEP TELLING ME THE ANESTHESIOLOGIST IS ON HIS WAY - HE'S NEVER COMING, OH MY GOD, HE'S NEVER COMING, KILL ME. KILL ME NOW

7:00 am - Anesthesia comes, epidural is administered

7:01 am - Happy as a clam

THE NEXT 11 HOURS, I WATCH TV, TEXT MY BROTHER AND SISTERS, TALK TO MY PARENTS ON THE PHONE. LIFE IS GOOD.

2:30 pm - Grandparents arrive, come up and say hi before heading to the waiting room to await the birth of their granddaughter or grandson

5:30 pm - Time to push.... This is crazy, I can't believe I'm pushing a baby out! Oh my god, I can't push anymore.

6:01 pm - Welcome Nathan Bradley!

No comments:

Post a Comment